SUMMARY: TECHNICAL WRITER / CONTENT MANAGER
IT publishing professional creates and manages content and ad text that non-technical customers can understand and that technical experts can learn from. Technical accuracy combines with creative story telling to warmly address the pain points and details behind the subject matter. Proven proactive communication, research, leadership, SEO and analytics across various content forms.Expertise: SDLC, technical writing, content management, research, web design, marketing, software testing, analytics, typesetting.
SUMMARY: SOFTWARE QUALITY ASSURANCE ENGINEER
Software testing professional works with Development and Operations and ensures comprehensive design, planning and testing throughout all SDLC phases. Documenting all expected data flow paths and data options enables better coverage of edge cases to prevent gaps in testing. Specializing in functional, regression, boundary value, browser UI compatibility, end-to-end, SQL and mobile testing.
EDUCATIONRENSSELAER POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE, Troy, NY, B.S. in Computer Science
GATEWAY COMMUNITY COLLEGE, North Haven, CT, Web Developer Certificate
QUALITEST GROUP, Fairfield, CT, 2016 – present
Digital Content Manager (Corporate Storyteller) / Software Tester
Achievements: Manage content calendar and content strategy across all platforms/channels to drive engagement, retention, sales, and enable employee growth. Organize, index and maintain an inventory for all content collateral. Create ad text, research, content, data analysis, and editing for ad-hoc project and campaign work.Create/modify WordPress pages. Final approval of all collateral.
Duties: Create ad content specific to email, social media, graphic ads and video scripts. Perform data analytics to leverage industry data to develop specific content assets. Develop a content strategy based on target audience segmentation. Create content that promotes QualiTest’s solutions, competencies and practice based on SME consulting and/or research to produce: white papers, case studies, ads, blog posts, surveys, presentations, data analysis, reports, social media segments, email marketing etc. Content ranges from non-technical and fun to very technical. Collaborate/coordinate with partners/vendors/analysts on content and positioning. Compatibility testing of print/web/GUI content (UI, grammar, spelling, factual accuracy, functionality, multi-browser, multi-device). Compare BRD’s and their applications. Design/execute test cases (TestRail). Find and document bugs, and test bug fixes (Axosoft).
EGON ZEHNDER INTERNATIONAL, Brewster, NY, 2011 – 2016
Software Quality Assurance Specialist
Achievements: Creation/maintenance of wikis for previously-undocumented systems. Found around 1,400 bugs.
Duties: Test daily builds (TestTrack), find/enter/track/update bugs (JIRA), regression test, SQL (Toad), app, write/execute test plans in an international team, writing wikis (Confluence), business analysis. Testing included Windows, web and mobile app testing.
DLS SOLUTIONS Inc., Danbury, CT, 2009 – 2011
Software Quality Assurance Specialist, Technical Writer
Achievements: Origination/maintenance of system constraint list, functionality spec, pop-up message table, export option/generation list, default settings/templates/install list, all tables/axes/columns name/data on-screen or exported. This job was first advertised as 2 SQA positions but was proven to be comprehensively manageable by one expert.
Duties: Check functionality/progress of C#/.NET software builds, pinpoint/enter/update bugs (FogBugz), update guidance documents, do regression testing, manual and automated testing, test 21 CFR Part 11.
ADAM MILLER AGENCY LLC, Monroe, CT, 2005 – 2009
Licensed Property & Casualty Agent, Producer, Conservation Specialist, Billing Specialist
Achievements: Created, maintained and distribution of billing and home quoting constraint cheat sheets; getting policies reinstated, fixing billing problems; reviewing website updates; correspondence for agency principal.
Duties: Quoting, phone CSR, documentation, web processing, billing, mail correspondence, reinstatement, filing, phone gatekeeper, minutes keeping, edited company newsletter, account rounding and upselling.
Freelancer, various companies and dates
- Eisai/Pfizer, New York City, NY, Puzzle Expert Spokesman. Spoke and wrote on the relationship between Alzheimers and puzzle-solving.
- Scott Kim, El Granada, CA, Programmer/Wordsmith. Wrote ten Java GUI’s to generate word puzzles for Cingular’s Daily Puzzle, and a color maze generator Java GUI using SVG and PNG.
- Douglas Fink, Monroe, CT, Puzzle Constructor/Web Site Manager. Creating niche market theme puzzles (teen female, paranormal, etc.), maintaining web site (www.themecrossword.com).
- Adams Media Corporation, Avon, MA, Author/Programmer. Wrote 8 puzzle books; created puzzles (mostly crosswords); wrote computer programs; databased; built and managed website; proofread.
- Random House, New York, NY, Freelance Proofreader. Proofreading, ghost-writing and test-solving chess, crossword books and trivia books.
- Unilever, Clinton, CT, Technical Writer. Wrote production and changeover SOP’s, QA dossier and employee handbook; optimized forms and spreadsheets; 2-month assignment grew into a full year.
- Book of the Month Club, Typesetter. Typeset 8 crossword books.
COGNITRONICS CORPORATION, Danbury, CT, 2000 – 2001, 2005
Consultant (2005), QA Specialist / Software Engineer (2000-2001)
Achievements: My unit test plan caught a chip design flaw; I created code for creating bundled CDs for customers
Duties: Java and C coding; customer complaint investigation; debugging; test plan development; test script design; technical writing; release engineering; prepared Bills of Materials; training; configuration; unit testing
PENNY PRESS INCORPORATED, Norwalk, CT, – 2001
Consultant, Software Engineer
Achievements: Upgraded a computer department from a few loosely-connected utilities into a total production system for over 30 titles with an output frequency of over one magazine a day; created EPS templates for over 700 different puzzle/answer diagrams; created over 750 page templates for generating direct-to-plate PostScript files with embedded font definitions, saving $175K/year in printing fees and up to 80 hours of typesetting time per issue; coded programs to construct crostics, crosswords, word searches, and other puzzles, saving over $35K/year in constructor fees and up to 80 hours of key-in time per issue.
Duties: Sole software support for a 100-person company; spearheaded life-cycle project management (included project planning, meeting agendas, design documentation, requirement documents, and status reports); performed business analysis, quality control, release engineering and documentation for Typesetting, Proofreading, Finance, Editorial, and Scheduling; programmed the following: constructor payment database, production scheduling, editorial delivery/change database, word list/clue database, layout, revision tracking, no-human-intervention titles, and archival recycling tools; managed in-house alpha testers; trained end-users on software usage; created user documentation; defined filenaming convention for all issue files; investigated/tracked end-user complaints and resolved coding issues; worked as a software/hardware/network help desk; tracked and repaired network breaks; formulated graphical design, recorded minutes at cross-department meetings.
- Final eyes on all outgoing content at QualiTest Group.
- Tracked down, organized and added new index columns to content inventory for QualiTest Group.
- Wrote technical documents for QualiTest Group, Egon Zehnder and DLS Solutions.
- Wrote a year's worth of monthly newsletters for my house of religion.
- Wrote technical documents (MGCP specifications, call flows and test plans) for Cognitronics.
- Wrote SOP’s, QA dossier and employee handbook for Unilever HPC in Clinton, CT.
- Coded (using Java and C) a system for creating custom documentation CD’s for clients.
- Wrote eight crossword books for Adams Media.
- Copyedited various titles for Penny Press, Random House, Sterling Publishing as well as some business books for independent publishers.
- Copyediting for the monthly company newsletter and the website for the Adam Miller Agency.
- Coded/typeset eight books for Book of the Month Club.
- Programmed several no-human-intervention titles for Penny Press.
- Programmed puzzle construction, test-solving, editorial, proofreading, scheduling, constructor payment, typesetting (including Direct-to-Plate), archival and research functions for Penny Press.
- Did business analysis for streamlining workflows and automating for minimal manpower and optimal quality for Penny Press and Unilever.
- Wrote committee SOP’s and designed and coordinated PR for the SoNo Arts Celebration.
- Designed layout for Penny Press and Book of the Month Club.
- Programmed about 1,500 EPS templates for Penny Press, as well as several for Book of the Month Club. Many of these files are fill-in-the-blank style for the non-static parts of the feature/page.
- Programmer, data/web manager, author, editor, constructor: The Everything Large-Print Easy Crossword Book, The Everything Large-Print Crossword Book (volumes 1 & 2), The Everything Large-Print Crossword Challenge Book, The Everything Travel Crossword Book, The Everything Challenge Crossword Puzzle Book, The Everything Easy Crossword Puzzle Book, The Everything Large-Print Travel Crossword Book.
- Typesetter, coder: QPB Crossword Puzzles, Book-of-the-Month-Club Crosswords (multiple issues for both)
- Webmaster: http://www.themecrossword.com
- Editor: The Joy of Crosswords (multiple magazine issues)
- Editor, contributor: Information Flow (Camex company newsletter),The Minuteman (fraternity newsletter).
- Proofreader: Gumption, Casual Crosswords, Snow Day Crosswords, L.A. Times Sunday Crosswords Vol. 23, The Boston Globe Sunday Crossword Puzzles Vol. 13, The Only Book, Leaders Gone Catty-Whompus, American Mensa Guide to Chess, U.S. Chess Federation’s Official Rules of Chess, The Chess Kid’s Book of King and Pawn Endings, Chess Openings the Easy Way, Random House Guide to Cryptic Crosswords, The Chess Kid’s Book of Tactics.
- Contributor: ThanksUSA, Justine Magazine, Ghost! Magazine, The Palindromist, Word Ways, Penny Press puzzle magazines (many titles), the Enigma
- Speaker: http://www.themecrossword.com/NPR.mp3
- Software: programming, technical writing, QA/CM, requirements gathering, release engineering.
- Product Test Life Cycle: User acceptance testing, automated scripted testing, manual testing.
- Management: SDLC processes, RUP, business analysis, small business management, Microsoft Project.
- People/communication skills: Training, help desk, customer support.
- Publishing: Technical writing (SOP’s, manuals), PR releases, editing, typesetting, layout design, web site work.
- Industry experience: Publishing, HR, telecom, manufacturing, insurance, biotechnology.
- Document processing: MS Office Suite, Visio, Flash, Quark, Archetype, PageMaker, Interleaf.
- Applications programmed: Publishing, database, finance, scheduling, telecom.
License:Connecticut Property & Casualty Insurance Producer
SoNo Arts Celebration, Artie Award recipient
GAMES Magazine “Palindromes with Personality” Contest, Grand Prize winner
Adult Volunteer in Action, community service award recipient
MASUK HIGH SCHOOL MUSIC PROGRAM, Bottle and can drive co-chair, SONO ARTS CELEBRATION, Board of Directors member, Volunteers chairperson, Children’s Art Playground chairperson, (coordinated 400 volunteers); ALPHA PHI OMEGA (National Service Fraternity), Sectional Service chairperson, Newsletter editor; NORWALK MENTOR PROGRAM, Mentor; STAMFORD NATURE CENTER, Event Planning Committee member; WESTPORT UNITARIAN SINGLES GROUP, Discussion group leader; ADULT VOLUNTEERS IN ACTION, member.
Crossword construction/solving, palindromes, film, volunteering, cooking, home repair, novelty buttonmaking.